Friday, July 29, 2011

Lessons Learned!

     While working on our summer project of making T-shirt quilt's my best friend Jessica and I have learned a lot of new things!  We'd never quilted before when we started, so we read up on it on the internet and dove right in!  Here is a list of things that we wish we knew before we started!  I hope this helps someone else!
1. Stretchable Fabric Transfers are not better for quilting, just use the regular ones!  Cotton Transfers are even better if you don't mind spending the extra money to get them!


2. If you decide to put pictures on your quilt, then back the white fabric with iron-on batting before you iron the picture onto the fabric itself. This works much better and keeps the pictures from getting messed up or twisted when sewing them on to the quilt.  Another option is to use Cotton transfers, they are more expensive, but you get to skip finding a white t-shirt and putting backing on it!


3. Quilts eventually become huge (and heavy), it really helps to have a friend near by to help you turn and guide it through the sewing machine!  It is possible to do it alone, but I had problems with the weight of the quilt pulling it in the wrong direction and messing up my stitches.


4. The thread color doesn't really matter (except for the edges) because you can't see it on the outside!



5. It's a good idea to change the foot on your sewing machine if more than one came with your machine!  I only have the normal foot(and it did work), but from what I've been told a walking foot is a very handy thing to have when quilting!

Thanks for stopping by today!  I would love some more tips if anyone would like to share with me!

Sincerely,
Brittney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting!